The Charter Oak State College Support Center is your technical support resource for the Connecticut Education Academy. The Support Center will assist users in accessing and navigating through the CEA portal, as well as provide technical support for the courses delivered in Blackboard. Here is some helpful information, should assistance be needed:
Hours of Operation:
- Mon-Thurs: 9AM-5PM EST
- Fri: 9AM-4PM EST
- Sat, Sun: closed
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice: 860-515-3711
View our Frequently Asked Questions.
End user systems vary from location to location. The basic configuration you'll need to be successful in engaging with the course content includes:
- Functioning PC or Mac computer with media card
- Media Players such as:
Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, or QuickTime
- Recent Browser versions:
Edge, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome
- Microsoft Office Suite (or compatible viewers) to view MS Word documents
Blackboard supports five primary browsers for Learn releases. Links to the vendor sites for the browsers are included in this topic.
Run the browser checker to see whether Blackboard Learn supports your browser.
|Browser||Desktop Browser Versions|
|Safari1||12+ (Mac OS only)|
- WebRTC isn’t presently supported on these browsers, so the Create Recording feature will not work on these browsers. Both Microsoft and Apple have expressed they intend to support this standard in the future, in both Edge and Safari, respectively. These browsers can play back recordings created by the feature without issue.
- Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge don't support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers for using embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing.
- Support for Internet Explorer ended with Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q4 2018. Older releases may still work using this browser. Microsoft ended active development for Internet Explorer in January 2016. Some newer features in Learn may not work, including Attendance and Create Recording. Reported issues isolated to Internet Explorer will not be resolved by Product Support. We recommend using another browser.
Tested devices and operating systems
A variety of devices and operating systems were used to test the supported browsers. Support is not limited to these specific operating systems. The desktop browser versions above are supported regardless of the particular device or operating system on which they run.
Operating Systems used in testing
Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.12, Mac OS 10.13, Mac OS 10.14, Chrome OS
Chrome OS tested device
Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)
Java and Other Browser Plugins
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves do not function. For this release of Blackboard, the following features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires you to enable the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) browser plug-in from Oracle. The single file upload tool does not require the JRE. Blackboard has signed the upload applet. It includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Course Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require you to download and install Blackboard Collaborate Launcher but do not require the Java JRE browser plug-in.
Blackboard recommends JRE versions 7 and 8 for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 might work but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6. For Apple Mac OS X, please refer to Oracle’s FAQ page.
Blackboard Learn can be used to serve media content or other types of specialized content that requires a browser plugin such as Java, Flash Player, Apple QuickTime, or other plugins to render the content. In these scenarios, the version of the plugin and the browsers that are compatible with the plugin, as well as installation and configuration instructions for the plugin, are determined by the nature of the content and will vary. To learn more about browser plugins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic.
- Download link for JRE on Oracle's site.
- Get Java for your Mac on Apple's site.
- Download link for Adobe Flash Player on Adobe's site.
Copyright © 2019 Connecticut Education Academy. All rights reserved. The Connecticut Distance Learning Consortium 85 Alumni Road, Newington CT 06111